Everyone always asks, “what are the best snacks to have on hand?” So I thought it would be helpful to put my top 5 snacks together and explain why they are my go-to snacks!
- ALMONDS- Almonds are a heart healthy snack that is easily transported, doesn’t need refrigeration, and doesn’t go stale for quite some time. You can always find these in my purse for a “just in case”. I also incorporate them into things like my own homemade TRAIL MIX! The heart healthy fats and 7.5 g protein per 1/4 cup tend to keep you satisfied until your next meal.
- HARD-BOILED EGG- These are another portable snack I can keep in the fridge at work for those ravenous moments between meals. A large hard-boiled egg is low in fat (1.5 g sat fat) and contains plenty of protein (6.3 g). It is hand held which makes it easy to grab and go. If you are monitoring your cholesterol intake, just remove the yolk and have the whites alone.
- APPLE AND PEANUT BUTTER- Granny Smith Apples with peanut butter are a great snack! A medium apple (with the skin on) provides you with plenty of fiber (4.7 g) and about 97 calories. It is a carbohydrate based food so pairing it with a fat/protein source such as peanut butter helps slow the digestion which prevents blood sugar spikes. Peanut butter is still high calorie, so you need to monitor intake. A serving is considered 2 Tbsp which will provide 189 calories, 7.7 g protein and 16 g fat (2.5 g sat fat).
- COTTAGE CHEESE- I always keep reduced fat 2% cottage cheese on hand because it is fast and easy. For 1/2 cup, cottage cheese contains 12 g protein, 2.6 g fat and 125 mg calcium for 92 calories. So its pretty lean and very satisfying as a snack. If having fruit, this is a great protein to add to it to help prevent blood sugar spikes and slow digestion of the fruit.
- PROTEIN SHAKE- Protein shakes are a great post workout snack to help with muscle recovery. They are super quick and easy to make. All you do is add 1 scoop of whey protein powder and 8 oz of your milk of choice (cow, almond, soy, etc.). Shake it well in a blender bottle and done!
These are just a few of my favorite snacks I keep on hand for those times when my hunger can’t wait until meal time. The snacks above will help keep you satisfied much longer than crackers, popcorn, cookies or cereal. And they definitely won’t break your diet!
If you know of anyone that could benefit from these snacks, please share using the social media icons below!